Ludlow Supports Refugees - November update
Facebook group – please join!
We continue to offer a core menu of activities in the week, as follows.
Saturday get-togethers 3pm – 5pm
Just to confirm that our regular weekly meetings at the Quakers Meeting House St Marys Lane, Ludlow SY8 1DZ on Saturdays will continue into the autumn/winter.
As a reminder, on Saturday afternoons guests can:
- Complete an English diagnostic assessment and book your lesson(s)
- Hosts/guests can collect SIM cards.
- Talk to a volunteer or a member of the Enable service about help with finding a job, and making contact with local employers on your behalf. (May not be available every week, a new team is being put in place)
- Use a laptop, and talk to us if you are struggling with IT and need support
- Book a lift to an appointment or social event etc
- Take home children’s games, books and toys
- Meet with professionals including health care specialists on a monthly basis
- Ask for help and support, just ask we will try our best to provide help and guidance
- New – If you are looking for bikes or white goods let us know and we will see what we can find locally
- New – Help with negotiating the next steps from host family to independent living
Very importantly hosts, guests and volunteers meet informally to promote friendships and discuss and plan for social activities.
English assessments and English language lessons
English Lessons at Quakers Meeting House, St Marys Lane, Ludlow SY8 1DZ:
- Tuesday mornings 10-11.30am
- Wednesday evening 6.00-7.30 pm
- Thursday afternoon 1.30-3.00 pm
Saturday early afternoon English conversation sessions 1.30pm-3pm for more able English speakers. Saturday 3pm-5pm English assessment for new students or requests for an English assessment.
Homework club – Wednesday 6pm–7.30pm
Our homework club for young people at school or college aged 11+ is going from strength to strength. This runs alongside the adult English classes on Wednesdays between 6pm and 7.30pm. We provide help with understanding school topics and completing assignments, and we can also give particular support with English Language GCSE.
Please contact Jacki Moore - email firstname.lastname@example.org or mobile 07929656545 - to book onto a lesson, or if you're interested in the homework club.
Transport is available, throughout the week and weekends
We're very aware that public transport is limited in south Shropshire and north Herefordshire, and want to enable guests to plan trips to lessons, appointments with the Jobcentre, social events etc. We can pick up throughout southwest Shropshire and the Herefordshire borders, as long as we have enough notice and have volunteers available. Please give four days' notice to book your lift. Peter Higgins is our transport coordinator, and Peter's contact details are:
- Email email@example.com
- Mobile 07757989708
Ludlow Leisure Centre
Ludlow Leisure Centre is offering a three-month free pass for refugees to access most of the facilities that are available at the leisure centre. If a guest is interested in applying, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, giving the following information:
- Name and address of host family
- Names of the family members who will be using the pass and dates of birth
New - November and December activities, and meeting with new member of the local support team
As we are marching towards Christmas we have a number of events and activities, many are free and there is something for everyone. We are also very excited to say that we are arranging two Christmas celebrations, and we would love it if you are able to attend both of them, they will have very different themes and are free of charge. Details of all activities and events as follows.
- Saturday 5 November – Olha from Shropshire Supports Refugees (SSR) will be visiting the Quakers meeting House and speaking to guests (3-5pm)
- Saturday 12 November – The Rotary Club of Ludlow is presenting an evening of music, performed by young people from local schools, this is in aid of Ukraine. Doors open at the Assembly Rooms Ludlow, 6.15pm, performances start at 7pm. There is a cost to attend, but please support if you can
- Saturday 19 November – Painting for children aged 4-12 – free of charge. We invite all refugee children and families to have fun with paint from 10.30am to midday in the community room at Ludlow Boxing Club, Wheeler Road, Ludlow SY8 1JD. There is also a children’s playground adjacent to the club building. Please wear mucky clothes/ aprons and bring your own refreshments. It should be a fun event - please let us know via the Facebook group Ludlow Refugee Support Group if you'd like to attend
- The Ludlow Winter Festival runs from Friday 25 November to Sunday 27 November. This will be lots of fun, with the Saturday afternoon devoted to children’s activities, all based in the middle of Ludlow. Events during the three days for children and families
- Saturday 10 December – Painting for children aged 4 – 12 with a Christmas theme – free of charge. More painting fun for children, please bring your own refreshments
- Thursday 22 December – Christmas Party at Bitterley Village Hall, Bitterley SY8 3HQ – free of charge. Approx timings: 1/ Children’s hour 5-6pm-ish. This will be a ‘western’ style Christmas celebration, with a Ukrainian Father Christmas and fun things for children to do, including collecting a present from Santa, playing pass the parcel, face painting and tramps supper! 2/ Music, singing and games 6-7pm-ish. 3/ Eat together from 7pm – 9pm - for those of you who attended the Ukrainian Independence Day celebration, the format for food and drink will be similar, bring traditional western Christmas food to share. We would love to see as many of you as possible, for a lovely evening with all the family. Please email email@example.com if you would like to attend
New Year 2023
Saturday 7 January - traditional Ukrainian Christmas celebration (venue to be confirmed) this will be in the early evening suitable for all the family. We would like to provide an opportunity for a traditional Ukrainian Christmas, and hope that guests will get involved in organising celebrations and provide traditional foods for sharing. We will all come together in preparing traditional dishes, but may need help with finding recipes etc! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to get involved in the organisation!
A mix of food, singing and dancing sounds like a recipe for a good time and for Ukrainian families to show off traditional food and drink. This is aimed at all family members and hosts, volunteers and supporters.