Shropshire Council

Report benefit fraud

If you think someone is committing benefit fraud you can report it online to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

Points to note

There has to be a good reason to investigate someone for benefit fraud. The information you provide will determine the success of a case, so you’ll need to give as much information as you can, including:

  • The name and address of the person you’re reporting, and that of their partner, if they have one
  • A description of the person
  • The type of benefit theft you think they're committing and why you suspect them
  • Information about their employer, if you think they’re working
  • Information about their vehicle, if they have one

The information you provide is strictly confidential. You don’t have to give your name unless you want to. You can also report benefit fraud by telephone or post.

National Benefit Fraud Hotline (NBFH) contact information

Online fraud reporting

Report it now »

Telephone (England): 0800 854 440
Textphone: 0800 328 0512
Telephone (Wales): 0800 678 3722
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm


Mail Handling Site A
WV98 2BP

What happens after you report someone

The DWP Fraud Investigation Service will look at the information you give. If you’ve given enough information, they’ll check the person’s benefit claim. They aren't allowed to tell you the outcome.

Sometimes no action is taken. It might be that the person has declared a change in their circumstances and their benefit is not affected by it.

The Fraud Investigation Service will only take action if they find the person has been committing benefit fraud. Action can include removing a person’s benefits and taking them to court.

If your own circumstances change

If you don't tell us immediately about a change of circumstances which affects your entitlement to housing benefit or council tax support, you might be committing benefit fraud.