Shropshire Council


If you’re planning an event there are a number of things you might need to think about when it comes to licensing requirements.

If your event includes one or more of the following activities, you're likely to need an authorisation under the Licensing Act 2003:

  • Sale of alcohol
  • Provision of late-night refreshment (the sale of hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am)
  • Provision of regulated entertainment

Regulated entertainment is:

  • Performance of live music (including karaoke)
  • Playing recorded music
  • Performance of a play
  • Exhibition of a film
  • Performance of dance
  • Indoor sporting events
  • Boxing or wrestling events

If you’re holding an event at a premises that has a premises licence already you’ll need to check whether their premises licence covers the activities you want to carry out for the times you want to do them, and that the premises licence holder gives their permission for you to act under their licence. If you don’t have permission to use a premises licence, you’re holding your event somewhere that doesn’t already have a licence, or the times on the licence for don’t cover your event, you may need to apply for a temporary event notice or, if there will be more than 499 people in attendance (including all staff and performers), your own premises licence.

There are some allowances and exemptions to the requirement for an authorisation under the Licensing Act 2003. We therefore advise that you contact the Licensing Team at the earliest stage possible when planning your event, so we can provide you with specific advice based on what you’re planning.

There may be other licensing requirements you need to consider depending on the nature of your event, including a small society lottery registration if you’re planning to have a raffle, a street collection permit if you’re planning to collect money for charity in the street or a street trading licence if you’re planning to sell things in the street.

To make sure you have all the correct licences and permits in place for your event contact the Licensing Team using the below details for specific advice and assistance:

Licensing Team
Trading Standards & Licensing
Public Health
Shropshire Council
Abbey Foregate