Shropshire Council

Physical difficulties in your home

Equipment and adaptations 

If you're struggling to live in your home because of an injury or long-term illness, equipment and adaptations in your home could help you to live in it independently. 

Disabled facilities grants (DFGs)

You could get a grant if you're disabled and need to make changes to your home. For example:

  • Widen doors and install ramps
  • Provision of more suitable personal hygiene facilities – eg level access shower
  • Improve access to rooms and facilities – eg stairlifts or provision of a downstairs toilet
  • Adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use

To find out more about disabled facilities grants, please visit our private sector housing section.

If you feel you need to move as your home isn't suitable anymore because of your health issues, you can register for social housing by applying to Shropshire HomePoint. You can provide further information with regards to your health issues and how your property affects them, which may give you a higher priority for your housing application.

If you need any more help, you can contact us, or take a look at our self-serve advice tool for more advice.