Shropshire Council

Worried about money?

Are you worried about money? Get step-by-step support for your specific needs and to know who to turn to for support in Shropshire.

MoneyHelper offers free and trusted guidance on benefits, money troubles, everyday money, family and care and more.

Our Benefits and better off in work calculator will help you work out whether you’re claiming all the benefits you may qualify for.  It can also show you how much better off you’d be in work.  It takes into account any benefits you can claim when you start a job to give a full picture of your future income.  The calculator is free to use, and the details you provide are anonymous.

Our Welfare Support team may be able to provide help to Shropshire residents to meet their most essential living costs.  For more information, call the team on 0345 678 9078.

Check Turn2Us to see what welfare benefits and grants might be relevant to you.

Debt and borrowing advice

If you need help to manage your money, the following organisations may be able to help you:

Call 0300 555 2222 to safely report a loan shark

Help with energy bills

We share your worry and concerns over the rise in energy costs. Here are some useful links to organisations that can offer support, help and advice. If you're struggling to pay your energy bills, please contact your energy company as it may have a scheme that can help you. 

Rent or mortgage help

If you're struggling to pay your rent or mortgage here are some useful links taking you to support, help and advice services. Check with your landlord or mortgage provider to see if there is specific support available to you:

Help with water bills

If you're struggling with your water bills, you may be able to get help from Severn Trent Water. The Big Difference Scheme (call 0121 3557766 or email can help people on low incomes who are struggling to pay ongoing water charges.    

The Big Difference Scheme now offers assistance with arrears. The Big Difference Scheme Plus (BDS+) started on 1 September 2023 

What if I don’t qualify for BDS, what support is available to me?

A range of services are available to help you pay your water bill. These include, applying for a water meter, reviewing your payment instalments or seeing if you are eligible for any of other schemes e.g. WaterSure. More information can be found here.

Income maximisation, debt advice and white goods products are available through the new Customer Assistance Scheme (CAS). Provided by Auriga Services.

Help with broadband and phone bills

If you receive benefits and universal credit, it's likely you're eligible for a broadband social tariff. These are broadband contracts at a discounted rate, find out more information via the Ofcom website.

If you aren't eligible for a social tariff, use a broadband comparison website to see if you could get a cheaper deal. Find out more here.

Financial help for people with disabilities

Financial help for older people

Cost of transport