About the HAF programme
The HAF Programme in Shropshire: free activities and food for Shropshire families
Shropshire HAF (Holiday Activities and Food) managed by Shropshire Council is an exciting programme of holiday activities.
Over the Easter/Spring, Summer and Christmas/Winter holidays, schools, voluntary and community organisations, and childcare providers are running activities
There are free places available on the HAF programme for children and young people aged 4 (reception class age) to 16, who are eligible for benefits-related free school meals and for those who have been referred onto HAF by a professional.
Children who are aged 4, who attend a nursery or pre-school are unfortunately not eligible for the HAF programme, activities are not suitable. Eligible children aged 4+, must be in full time education and have started school in Reception Class (or equivalent).
During the three main school holidays, children and young people are invited to take part in a range of fun activities, happening at venues from across the county.
Funded by the DfE (Department for Education), the aim of the programme, is to make holiday activities as accessible and inclusive as possible
How to access the free activities
Following feedback about the centralised HAF booking system used over the summer, all bookings for the Winter/Christmas holidays will be made directly with the organisations running the holiday clubs. Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.
All eligible families will be given an Information Leaflet by their school or professional they are working with. The leaflet will include a code, which you can use when booking onto activity.
If you aren’t sure if you are eligible, please check the Who Can Access the HAF Programme Document, beneath related documents on this page and speak to your child/ren’s school.
What you need to do
- Use the electronic What’s On Guide, available beneath related documents on this page, to find which holiday club is suitable for your child/ren. Electronic copies of the Guide will be sent to you by your child/rens school.
- Book onto activity by contacting the organisation running the holiday club direct, using the contact details in the Guide.
- When making a booking, please quote your unique HAF Code (see Shropshire Winter HAF Information Leaflet).
- If your child/ren has SEND (Special Educational Needs & Disabilities) or receives any extra help at school, before booking onto activity, please contact the holiday club to discuss your child/s needs. (Please see page 7 of the What’s On Guide for more information about SEND).
- Any queries you have about your booking or the activities on offer, please contact the organisation running the holiday club directly.
- If you have been referred onto the programme by a professional, please email HAF.email@example.com for more information. (Please see page 5 of the What’s On Guide for more information about referrals).
Subscribe to the HAF e-news
We're encouraging families to subscribe to the HAF e-newsletter to receive helpful information from local partners and to learn about the HAF activity programme.