Floating Support services - Shropshire Town and Rural Housing (STAR)
Shropshire Towns and Rural Housing (STAR) – Housing Support Services helps vulnerable people to develop the skills, confidence and experience to be able to look after their home and finances and live independently in the local community. Support is given through individual and group sessions, which helps people to develop their own networks and friendships.
Group activities and training are also hosted in local areas covering a wide range of topics, with the aim of increasing personal skills and confidence around their tenancy.
The support can help you with:
- Budgeting - reducing household bills and making ends meet
- Benefits - applications and appeals
- Finding a new home, a lodger, house swap or house share
- Avoiding eviction
- Contacting services, groups and agencies
- Coping in your own home - managing your post, bills and appointments
- Aids and adaptations - changing your property to suit your needs
- Becoming involved in the community - activities, events and groups
- Staying safe - coping with domestic violence, household security
- Finding social care or help at home
Your referral will be sent to Shropshire Council – Housing Options who will sign post you to appropriate services or progress your referral to the team who will then be in touch.
Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP)
You may be able to apply for help with paying your rent if you have a shortfall, or assistance with deposit/rent in advance for securing a new property. Please take a look at our Benefits section for more information.
Welfare Support Team - local welfare provision
Local welfare provision, including the council’s Local Support and Prevention Fund (LSPF), is funding managed by local authorities to help families under exceptional pressure. It can be used to help keep families together, help people to settle or remain in the community and to help vulnerable people who struggle to meet the cost of their essential living costs or who have an unexpected crisis.
All awards made are non-repayable and some may be made up of awards in kind such as food parcels, furniture or fuel credits.
All requests will be considered on an individual basis with due account given to the vulnerability and personal circumstances of each customer. Please take a look at our webpage for more information.
We have produced a leaflet that details a range of services to help you with budgeting and debt.