Shropshire Council


How do I register as disabled?

You can register as disabled with us if you have a critical or substantial disability.

Critical disability is defined as: 'A chronic condition or illness lasting more than twelve months which remains unimproved by treatment and from which the individual is unlikely to recover.'

Substantial disability is defined as:
'Affecting the individual’s ability to complete basic tasks, being dependent on equipment or assistance in many activities of daily life.'

To find out if you are eligible for services please contact our First Point of Contact for Adult Social Care team for an assessment on 0345 678 9044.

How do I request adaptations to my home?

To request adaptations you must first be referred or refer yourself to us for an assessment of your needs. Please contact our First Point of Contact for Adult Social Care team for an assessment on 0345 678 9044.

How do I apply for a disabled facilities grant?

Take a look at our private sector housing pages for more information.

How do I register a sensory impairment?

Registration as deaf or hard of hearing can be offered directly by the Sensory Impairment Team if your hearing impairment has a significant impact on your day to day living.

Registration as being blind or partially sighted can be offered by the team following the issue of a BD8/CVI certificate by a consultant ophthalmologist.

For more information please contact our First Point of Contact for Adult Social Care team for an assessment on 0345 678 9044.

What travel assistance can I get?

Blue badge parking scheme

The scheme is available in England and Wales, and provides an arrangement of parking concessions for people with various disabilities, who travel either as passengers or drivers. Badges won't be issued to people who are temporarily incapacitated, for example if they have a broken leg or are recovering from surgery such as a hip replacement.

Concessionary travel scheme

We're responsible for administrating the concessionary travel scheme, which offers free or discounted travel on local public transport services for older people or those with a disability. 

Community transport

Transport support for those who may not be able to use or have access to public transport. This may be people who can't walk to a bus stop and may need assistance to travel, or it could be someone living in a rural area where public transport isn't available.

Are there any meal delivery services available?

If you find it difficult to prepare hot meals for yourself then you might like to look at getting meals in the following ways:

  • Have hot or frozen meals delivered to your home
  • Buy frozen meals from a supermarket

Hot and frozen meals are suitable for a range of dietary requirements, including diabetic, low carbohydrate, low fat, gluten free and low sodium, depending on which supplier you buy your meals from.

More details of hot meal delivery services in Shropshire can be found on the Shropshire Community Directory.

Where can I find training and employment support?


Enable helps to support people with disabilities into employment and work experience, as well as providing personal development opportunities. We're currently expanding our service and expertise to offer individually tailored packages for people in Shropshire receiving personal budgets through Enable Right Choice.


The Shropshire College of Arts and Technology offers further education opportunities for people of all ages.

Vision Technology Training

Shropshire's vision technology training HQ in Ludlow offers people with visual impairment the opportunity to regain their independence.

County Training

Shropshire's largest training provider, offering a range of courses to suit all learners.

Where can I find out more about volunteering opportunities?

The Do-it website has lots of helpful information for anyone looking to volunteer.