Shropshire Council

The annual electoral canvass

What is it?

Each year, we make contact with all households to check whether we have the correct people registered to vote and to ask you to inform us of any changes. In accordance with reformed canvass we'll be using data and electronic communication, such as email and text messaging, to make the process simpler. This means you may receive a text, email or letter from us, asking you to check who we have registered and tell us about any changes.

What forms do I need to complete?

Full details will be provided on the communication sent to you, so please follow those instructions carefully – the easiest way to respond to the canvass communication is online at

Please consider responding online, by telephone or text message wherever possible – full details are on the communication that you receive.

If you're not already registered to vote, you can do so online.

Why do I need to be on the register?

By law, your details need to be included on the register if:

Why do you need to know if I am over 76?

The form asks whether any of the occupants at the property are aged 76 or over. The Courts Service, which uses the register, sends out invitations to people to attend jury service. The upper age limit for people serving on juries is 75. We therefore need to ask people whether they're 76 or over, because from that age they would be ineligible.