Shropshire Council

How can I help?

I want to volunteer to help refugees

Several charities and organisations are working with refugees across the UK. To find out more about volunteering opportunities in your area visit the National Council for Voluntary Organisations.

You could also contact the Refugee Council, the British Red Cross or Refugee Action to find out more about volunteering to support asylum seekers and refugees already in the UK.

I have clothes / books / toys etc that I want to donate

Many charities have been inundated with generous offers of donated goods from members of the public. Because of the logistical challenges in storing and transporting donated items, some can’t accept any donations currently. Check with your local refugee organisations to see what they need.

You can donate items to British Red Cross charity shops. They’ve launched #ShopDrop for Refugee Crisis, where they’ll accept quality clothing, books and unwanted gifts. Money raised from goods donated to the Europe Refugee Crisis will go towards the British Red Cross Europe Refugee Crisis Appeal. You can also donate items to Save the Children charity shops and Oxfam charity shops.

The items won’t go directly to child refugees but the money raised helps charities to support them.

I have a free room in my house

At the moment government criteria means that we can only offer Syrian refugee families accommodation in self-contained homes. This means we won’t be able to accommodate a family in a spare room. However, those with a spare room could accommodate unaccompanied child refugees by using our supported lodgings scheme.

If you'd like to offer support in terms of housing, please email with your offer and we'll add your details to our register. Then if the government’s criteria change and we're able to make use of your free room, we'll contact you.

I have a property that could be used to house refugees

If you have a property that could be used to house refugees, please email us at We house refugee families in self-contained, privately rented housing.

I’m a professional who could help refugees integrate on arrival in the UK

Please contact with your offer of support. You can also contact the Refugee Council.

I have a business and have an idea that could help

Please email

There are also a number of charities and organisations across the UK that are raising awareness and donations to help refugees who have recently arrived, and those who are already in the UK. Please contact these charities and organisations directly.

I want to foster a child

If you're interested in fostering in general or wish to foster a child visit our Shropshire Fostering website