Shropshire Council


You may be able to get help to pay your rent and council tax even if you're working or self-employed. The amount of benefit you'll get depends on the amount of money you're earning.

If you're already on benefits but are about to start or return to work, find out about extended payments.

When you complete and return your claim form, you'll also be asked to provide details of your earnings. You'll need to send us:

  • Your last five payslips, if you're paid weekly
  • Your last three payslips, if you're paid fortnightly
  • Your last two payslips, if you're paid monthly or four-weekly
  • If you don't have any payslips, please provide a certificate of earnings

Take a look at the following frequently asked questions to help you better understand whether you might be entitled to claim for benefits, even if you're working.

What happens if I've just started work?

If you can't provide payslips, don't delay in sending us your claim form. Send the form straight away with the other documents requested. If you don't, you may lose benefit.

If you don't have any payslips, we'll accept a letter from your employer confirming your expected income and your expected tax and national insurance deductions.

I've been on benefits and I'm just returning to work - will my benefits stop immediately?

Not necessarily. Your housing benefit and council tax support won't be stopped automatically just because you've started working. It will depend on how much you earn and if you have any other change in circumstances.

Even if your earnings are high enough to stop your benefit, you may qualify for an extended payment to help you whilst you're awaiting your first wage.

What information do I need to give you if I'm self-employed?

If you're self-employed, you'll need to send us your most recent certified profit and loss accounts. Alternatively, you can provide us with a self-employed earnings form.

What about money I pay into my pension scheme?

If you're paying money into a pension scheme, you'll need to send us proof of the payments you make. We can only take into account half of the amount of contribution you make into a pension scheme from your wages. We'll have to take the other half into account as earned income when we assess your claim.