Shropshire Council

Registering a village green

The Commons Act 2006 allows for an application to be made to register land as a new village green. You'll need to show that the land in question has been used:

  • For a period of at least twenty years
  • For the purposes of lawful sports and pastimes
  • 'As of right' (ie without force, secrecy or permission)
  • By the inhabitants of a locality, or a neighbourhood within a locality

Alternatively, a landowner may voluntarily register land as a new village green, in which case it isn't necessary to demonstrate a set period of use.

Our guidance notes will help you when completing the application form.

For further information on common land and village greens please call 01743 257713.