Shropshire Council

After a flood

If you've been affected by flooding please make sure you report this to the relevant authority so it can be logged and properly investigated.

If you’ve had to leave your home, check with the emergency services that it’s safe before you return. If the flood water is still in your property or garden space, please take care as there may be hidden dangers like sharp objects or raised manhole covers.

Once the flood water has subsided it's important that you document the extent of the damage and call your insurance company as soon as possible. Recovering after a flood can be a difficult experience. Useful information on starting the process of recovery can be found on the National Flood Forum website.

Flood water may contain harmful substances like sewage, chemicals and animal waste which could make you unwell. If you come into contact with flood water, wash your hands thoroughly. Information on how to clean your property after a flood event can be found on the Gov.UK website, as well as general advice about staying healthy after a flood.

Personal flood plan

Emotional support

Having a flooded home or business is very stressful. If you need emotional support, contact family and friends, your doctor or an organisation like the Red Cross or the Samaritans.

Public Health England also offers a guide to mental wellbeing after a flood.

Our 'Your health and flooding' page offers further advice and contact information.


Flood Re is a joint initiative between the government and insurers. Its aim is to make the flood cover part of household insurance policies more affordable. It's important that people living or operating a business in high flood-risk areas in Shropshire shop around for the best insurance policy. For more information visit the Flood Re website.

A loss adjuster is employed by an insurance company to decide how much money should be paid to a person making a claim. A loss assessor is someone appointed by a policy holder to manage a claim on their behalf.

Advice from the Association of British Insurers (ABI) about flooding resilience and on working through the insurance system after a flood:

Clean up

If your home or property has been flooded it could be contaminated by oil, silt and sewage. This will need to be carefully and completely cleaned up to remove any health risk. Contact your GP immediately if you think your health has been affected.

If you're concerned about contaminated water or sewage in floodwater:

If you think an elderly relative or neighbour has been affected by flooding get in touch with our Adult Social Care first point of contact team on 0345 678 9044.

If a road has been affected, you can report roads and pavements damaged by flooding.

The Environment Agency has information about cleaning your house as well as details of organisations that can help you do this. National Health England also has a useful leaflet on how to clean up after a flood (PDF). Unless they're contaminated, you can dispose of most water-damaged items at one of our household recycling centres. Ask the staff there if you need any help.

If you're worried about the security of your property contact West Mercia Police.