Shropshire Council

Current councillor vacancies

We'll advertise vacancies as soon as the notice is received from the relevant clerk.

Vacancies on unitary, town and parish councils crop up throughout the year.

Take a look at the current list of vacancies »

If anyone wishes to call a by-election for a town or parish by-election, our returning officer must be presented with a list of ten signatures from registered local electors for the relevant area. To assist, we've produced a form for electors to complete. Electors may send in individual requests by letter if they prefer.

If there is more than one vacancy in any area, electors must specify which vacancy they are calling to election.

For unitary vacancies, our returning officer must receive signatures from two registered electors, and the relevant form is available to download.

If no election is called, the clerk will advertise the vacant position locally to seek candidates for co-option, and all interested parties should contact the clerk direct.  For information purposes, we'll keep that vacancy on our webpage for approximately two months from the date that the original vacancy notice expired, regardless of whether a co-option has already taken place or not.

In the event of a by-election being held, when both the notice of election has expired and the deadline for withdrawals has passed, a poll will only be held if there are more candidates than seats available. For town and parish vacancies, if there is to be a poll, it must take place within 60 "computed days" from the date of the notice of vacancy. That means that Saturdays, Sundays and any other non-working days are not included in the 60 day period.

All election results will be published as soon as practicable after the announcement of the result, or after the deadline for withdrawal of candidature, in the case of an uncontested election.

Town and parish council vacancies

By-elections to fill town and parish councillor vacancies will be held if, within 14 days (not counting Saturdays, Sundays, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Good Friday or a bank holiday) from the date of the notice of vacancy, ten electors for the town ward or parish ward give notice in writing claiming an election to the returning officer. Use our template to make a written request to call a by-election.

The address of the returning officer is Shropshire Council, The Shirehall, Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury, SY2 6ND.

Unitary council vacancies

For unitary council vacancies, an election must be held within 35 "computed" days rather than 60, and only needs two electors to call the election, rather than ten (as is the case with town or parish councils).

Further information/guidance for candidates

If a request is received for an election to be held, the key dates and election notices will be published on our website.

Guidance documents available to assist with by-elections

Please note that these documents refer to by-elections only and not to scheduled elections. There are no scheduled local elections due to take place within Shropshire Council’s area until May 2021. 

Candidates are advised to view the relevant “Guide for Prospective Candidates” produced for either town and parish council elections or Shropshire unitary elections, which will be included as part of their candidates nomination pack. Nomination packs can be obtained from our returning officer, or in the case of town/parish council elections, from the local clerk.

We'd recommend that if you have any other queries, further independent advice can also be obtained from the Electoral Commission - tel. 0333 103 1928.