Shropshire Council

Requirements for mobile food businesses

If you're running or planning to start a mobile or temporary food business, there are a number of things you need to do before you start to make sure that you comply with food hygiene regulations, and that you have adequate controls in place to make sure you're working safely.

If you're setting up a new mobile business, are an existing mobile business, or just want to know a little more, please refer to our guide.

The following guides also have information on mobile food business requirements:

These guides have been written by the Food Standards Agency, and will cover most enquiries you may have. The Food Standards Agency website is a great resource for all food enquiries, and offers in-depth information on most food-related topics.

The majority of food businesses will need to register with us 28 days before starting to operate. This process is simple and free. You'll also be required to have a documented food safety management system such as the Food Standard Agency’s ‘Safer Food Better Business’ pack.

Alternatively you can purchase a full-colour ring-bound printed pack (£15) and/or a 12 month diary pack (£10 each) plus postage and packaging from Shropshire Council. To request a pack please email

We recommend that all food handlers undertake a level 2 food hygiene course. For more details regarding training please see our Food Hygiene Training Pages.


Before you can trade as a mobile food stall, you must get permission from the landowner.  Due to development control restrictions mobile traders aren't allowed to trade within the river loop of Shrewsbury. If you wish to trade on the trunk roads (A49 (south of Shrewsbury), A5, A483 and A458 (Shrewsbury to the Welsh border)) permission must be obtained from Highways England, who can be contacted by telephone on 0300 1235 000. For non-Highways England roads you should seek permission from our Highways team by emailing

Those wishing to trade on local roads within the county should contact our Licensing Team either by telephone on 0345 6789026 or email:

Some towns may also require a street trading licence from either Shropshire Council or the local parish or town council. For further details please email the Licensing Team at the address above.


All temporary premises/mobiles need to be well constructed. Premises should be kept to a high level of cleanliness, and also be maintained and in good repair and condition.

If you are buying a catering vehicle, always make sure you have the gas and electrical safety certificates before you complete the purchase. 

The gas installation and appliances must be checked by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Gas appliances need to be checked annually and a gas safety certificate needs to be issued by the engineer who confirms that they're safe to use. LPG bottles should always be securely stored.