Swimming provision in Shrewsbury
- Period: 28 May 2015 - 30 October 2015
- Status: Closed
- Audiences: Everyone
- Topics: Leisure and culture
- Type: Public
If you prefer to download a copy of this content to print off and read you can do so using the links at the bottom of this page.
A changing Shropshire
The population of Shrewsbury is changing - it’s generally getting older and less active. We will have significant growth over the next few decades with a large amount of new housing being built.
From September 2015 we will have a university in the town, and although student numbers will initially be small, there will be a growing population of students with specific leisure requirements.
The condition of the Quarry Swimming and Fitness Centre and the user experience it offers has declined in recent years, and huge strains generally on the public purse and the running costs of the current facility are a growing challenge.
We've been working with the following partners and independent experts to fully explore what the best options are for providing swimming facilities for these changing needs:
We now need to assess the views of as many people as possible. We want to consult a wide range of user groups, interest groups and organisations in the town, including the Quarry Swimming and Fitness Forum, (a group set up to bring clubs and users of the Quarry together to work towards improvements to the centre) as well as the wider population. We want to hear from people who don’t use the Quarry Swimming and Fitness Centre as well as people who do.
The current facility
The story so far
- July 2014: Shropshire Council approved the recommendation to undertake detailed options work
- October 2014: building condition survey of the Quarry Swimming and Fitness centre was completed
- November 2014: study of different options for swimming provision in Shrewsbury commenced
- December 2014: user survey of the Quarry Swimming and Fitness Centre was carried out
- May 2015: options analysis study was completed
So what's next?
We need to fully understand the needs and views of as many members of the community as possible to help us plan the best way to provide swimming and aquatics facilities in Shrewsbury in the future.
This consultation will provide a range of options for swimming provision that have been looked at in detail by independent experts based on the brief provided to them by the vision document.
For each option that has been looked at we have provided:
- a brief description
- a simple analysis of strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats (SWOT) to enable you to quickly understand the pros and cons
- financial information on the cost to build and the cost to run (this is detailed separately beneath the options in a comparison table format)
We are asking you to read and carefully consider the information for each option, and then to provide feedback on it.
- Swimming provision - full webpage content for download 3 Sept 2015.pdf
- Quarry User Survey December 2014.pdf
- Summary of swimming pool options - 2 Sept 2015.pdf
- Swimming in Shrewsbury FAQs - 2 Sept 2015.pdf
- Revenue Impact of Development Options 02 09 15.pdf
- Brief for scoping different pool options in Shrewsbury 04 09 14 FV.pdf
- Shrewsbury Swimming Pool Consultation Analysis_Infographic.pdf
- Shrewsbury Swimming Pool Consultation Analysis Full Report_13 04 16.pdf
This consultation is now closed, and all responses have been collated.
A summary of the findings of the survey has now been published.
Full response information is attached to this page.
Further outcomes influenced by the responses received will be published here in due course.
Update - 7 July 2016
New information is now available and is contained in the attachments on this page.
- Shrewsbury swimming consultation - respondent type.pdf
- Shrewsbury swimming consultation - swimming habit information.pdf
- Shrewsbury swimming consultation - options preference information.pdf
- New Pool for Shrewsbury, Cabinet 30 July 2014.pdf
- Sport England Facility Planning Model, 2015.pdf
- Equality and Social Inclusion Impact Assessment, 2016.pdf
- Appendix 1 Main areas of concern and the Councils response.pdf
- Appendix 2 Shrewsbury Re-Assessment of Need Swimming and Fitness 11 06 16 fv.pdf
- Appendix 3 Shrewsbury swimming pool Evaluation Criteria 01 07 16.pdf
- Indicative future programme, Strategic Leisure, June 2016.pdf
- Improved Swimming Facilities for Shrewsbury Cabinet report 13 07 16.pdf
We are asking you to give your views on these options by answering the questions in this consultation. Click on the green button to access our short online feedback form.Feedback on the options now »
We'll be holding a series of manned exhibitions about this consultation, and as we have more information on these we'll add it to this page and publicise it through our main leisure pages and social media accounts.
You can also visit your local library where staff are aware of this consultation and should be able to help you.
You can download a full copy of this content if you, or someone you know, prefers to read it in that format. It's available at the bottom of the proposal tab page.