Shropshire Council

Street collection licence

It's illegal in this country to hold a street collection to collect money or sell articles for the benefit of charitable or other purposes without getting a street collection permit from us if that collection is to be held 'in a street or public place'. A 'public place' is a 'place where the public has access'.

It's often assumed that collections held in shop doorways or car parks do not need a street collection licence because they are being held on 'privately owned land'. This is not true, as the legislation doesn't mention the ownership of the land, or treat collections on 'privately owned land' as exempt from the licensing regulations.

A shop doorway or car park, when that shop is open for trading, is a 'public place' because the public has access at that time. Only local authorities issue street collection permits under Section 5 of the Police, Factories, etc. (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1916, as amended by the Local Government Act 1972 and Schedule 29 of that act.

Before applying for a Street Collection permit within Shropshire, the applicant must obtain permission to collect in that location from the land owner.

Shropshire Council do not issue Direct Debit collection permits (different conditions apply for Shrewsbury Town Centre, see below). We do appreciate a notification of intent if a Direct Debit collection is to take place. This is so we can ensure that there isn’t over saturation of charitable collections in town centres and that direct debit collections don’t coincide with Street Collections wherever possible.

In Shrewsbury town centre, different conditions apply to Street Collections and direct debit collections.

Street Collections may only take place on Pride Hill and The Square.

Pride Hill collections are restricted to Tuesday, Thursday and Saturdays between the times of 10am and 4 pm and a Street Collection Permit must be obtained from Shropshire Council.

Direct Debit collections may also only take place on Pride Hill. Shropshire Council has a Site Management Agreement in place with the Public Fundraising Association (PFRA) for Direct Debit Collections. These collections are restricted to Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays between the times of 10am and 4 pm and applications must be made to the PFRA on or call 020 7840 1000.

Collections in The Square require a Street Collection Permit from Shropshire Council and permission to use the land from the Square Management Team. Please be aware there will be a fee for booking in The Square.

Am I eligible to apply for a street collection licence?

Yes, if your collection is as follows: street collections are usually made by charities, they usually take place in a town centre on busy shopping days, and money is collected in 'tins'. There are regulations which govern this type of collection. Consents are restricted to enable charities to raise money without their collections clashing with those of other charities.

What is it for?

The purpose of the legal requirement to obtain consent is to ensure collectors are properly authorised and that money is collected in a secure way and the total proceeds collected are properly accounted for.

Who needs one?

Anyone carrying out a street collection as described above.

How much will it cost?

This is no cost for this licence.

What will I need before I apply?

  • Completed application form
  • See application form for any additional requirements

Apply now

Download the form, complete it on your home computer, and email it to

Download an application form

Download the form, print it out, fill it in and post your application along with the fee if applicable to:

The Licensing Team, Shirehall, Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY2 6ND

Download an application form