Shropshire Council

Unlicensed family entertainment centre gaming machine permit

Gaming machines- coronavirus update - the provision of gaming machines or pool tables are not activities that are prohibited in pubs in England by the coronavirus regulations. The government has issued guidance on "keeping workers and customers safe during Covid-19 in restaurants, pubs, bars and takeaway services”, which contains information on how to operate premises while minimising the risk of spreading Covid-19. This guidance will need to be taken into consideration in relation to the provision of gaming machines or pool tables, and will need to be included within the Covid-19 risk assessment for the business. Gaming machines or pool tables should only be provided if the risk assessment establishes that it's safe to do so.


Am I eligible to apply for a unlicensed family entertainment centre gaming machine permit?

Yes, if you're the occupier/proposed occupier of premises intended to be used by the applicant as a family entertainment centre. A licensed family entertainment centre (FEC) is classified as ‘premises’ and only premises that are wholly or mainly used for making gaming machines available may hold an FEC premises licence. As a result, it is generally not permissible for such premises to correspond to an entire shopping centre, airport, motorway service station or similar. Typically, the machines would be in a designated and enclosed area.

What is it for?

If you're running a family entertainment centre under a permit from us, you can operate category D machines and bingo prize gaming machines. Use the gaming machine categories link on this page to find out more.

Who needs one?

Anyone wishing to make a new application for a club or family entertainment centre permit, or to convert an existing one, or to change the name on one.

How much will it cost?

There is a fee for issuing this document, which is taken when you apply.

What will I need before I apply?

  • Completed application form
  • Fee
  • See application form for additional requirements

Apply now

Download the form, complete it on your home computer, and email it to

Download an application form

Download the form, print it out, fill it in and post your application along with the fee if applicable to:

The Licensing Team, Shirehall, Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY2 6ND

Download an application form