Shropshire Council

Permit to place a builder's skip on the highway

If you would like to place a builder's skip (or a number of skips) on the highway, you will need to apply for permission. Before applying, please read the guidance notes attached to this page.

Download the application form »

Note 1: applications will only be accepted from builders or skip companies. Applications from individual members of the public cannot be accepted.

Note 2: There are three embargo periods operated across Shropshire market towns during which time only emergency works are permitted. Dates fall as follows:

  • Christmas - between the second Monday in November and the Monday following first week in January
  • Good Friday - for ten days (usually in March)
  • Flower show – 1 week in August

How to apply

  • You can apply online by clicking on the green button, or
  • By completing and emailing us an application form (attached to this page)


There is a £125 charge for your application.

  • Skip permit extension = £110
  • Unlicensed skip permit = £270

Guidance for completing your application is available on the form. However, if you have any further queries, our customer services team will be happy to help you.

Before submitting your application, please check with our Planning Department as to whether or not planning permission is required for the work.