Shropshire Council

Section 50 - street works licence

Guidance notes and application for New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 (NRSWA)

Section 50 - Street Works Licences

The need to obtain a street works licence applies to any person or organisation (other than anyone acting under a statutory right) who wishes to place, retain and thereafter inspect, maintain, adjust, repair, alter or renew apparatus, or change its position or remove it from the highway.

If you'd like to apply for a street works licence please complete the online form on this page. You'll then receive an email detailing additional documentation you'll need to provide. Once all documentation has been received you'll be contacted by a member of the team to take payment over the phone by credit/debit card. Please note that we no longer accept cheque payments.

Our current application fees can be found on our application fees page.

Prior to completing your application, it is imperative that you read and understand the guidance notes attached to this page, as they contain important information for applicants.

Also, as part of your application, you're required to complete both an excavation site drawing template and reinstatement diagram template (both attached to this page). Please download these templates, complete and return via email once instructed to. Please note that we can't process your application further without these documents.

Before submitting your application, please consult with Shropshire Council's Planning Department to establish whether or not planning permission is required for the work.