Shropshire Council

Temporary excavation - Section 171 approval

If you need to temporarily dig up the highway, for example when building a wall or putting in footings for a new building, you will need to apply for approval to do so. You can apply by completing our online form. Before applying, please read the guidance notes attached to this page.

Our current application fees can be found on our application fees page.

Guidance for completing your application is available on the form. After completing the form you'll receive an email detailing any additional documentation you'll need to provide. Once all documentation has been received you'll be contacted by a member of the team to take payment over the phone by credit/debit card. Please note that we no longer accept cheque payments.

Please note that as part of your application you're required to complete both an excavation site drawing template and reinstatement diagram template (both attached to this page). Please download these templates, complete and return via email once instructed to. Please note that we can't process your application further without these documents.