Shropshire Council

Temporary restriction or prohibition, eg road closure to carry out roadworks

Application for temporary prohibition or restriction on road:

  • Road closure
  • Temporary speed restriction
  • One-way system
  • Suspension of bus stop
  • Suspension of parking bay

If you'd like to apply to for a temporary restriction or prohibition for the purpose of undertaking work on the highway, you'll need to apply for permission. Restricting or prohibiting a road without permission may result in criminal prosecution. If you require a road closure or parking restriction for an event please use this application.

Note: There are three embargo periods operated across Shropshire market towns during which time only emergency works are permitted. Dates fall as follows:

  • Christmas - between the second Monday in November and the Monday following the first week in January 
  • Good Friday - for ten days (usually in March)
  • Flower show – one week in August

How to apply

You can apply by completing the online form on this page. This should be done at least three months prior to the proposed closure date. After submitting the form you will receive an email confirmation and be asked to provide a diversion plan. Only when the diversion plan has been received will the Council have all of the information required to make a decision on the viability of the proposal 

Our current application fees can be found on our application fees page.

Please note that cancellation fees may apply, detail can be found on the application form.

If you have any questions or queries relating to the form on this page, please contact us.

Application form