Shropshire Council

Having a financial assessment

We need to know about your income and your capital before we can decide whether we can help towards the cost of any funded support you may need. Income includes pensions, allowances like disability living allowance, attendance allowance and employment and support allowance. We don't count wages. Capital includes savings, ISAs, property you don't live in, premium bonds and shares in companies.

There are different rules for financial assessments for people who are living in their own home and those who stay in a care or residential home. Our online financial assessment calculator for adult social care charges is quick and easy to use. It gives you an estimate of what you might have to pay towards the cost of care and support arranged by Shropshire Council.

If you don't want us to assess you based on your finances we'll assume you're able to meet the full cost of any services you need without assistance from us.

How does my capital affect my assessment?

By capital we mean any money you own and can access, or any property you don't occupy as your main residence. If you live permanently in a care home, this may include your former home. If you have capital equal to or exceeding £23,250 we don't have to provide you with any financial support. Capital below £23,250 and above £14,250 is taken into account, but doesn’t exclude you from receiving funded support if this is required to meet your needs. We're only interested in any capital which belongs to you alone, or that which you hold jointly with another person. We're not interested in capital belonging to your partner.