Shropshire Council

New personal licence

Pay for this application online

If you are unable to pay for your application online, please contact the Licensing team using the contact details at the bottom of this page.

Pay for your application »

Personal licences allow you to sell alcohol on behalf of any business that has a premises licence or a club premises certificate. The relationship is similar to the way a driving licence permits the driving of any car.

Please note that there's no longer a requirement to renew personal licences.

What to do if you've lost your personal licence, move address or change your name

If you still have your personal licence, please return both the paper licence and card with your written notification, the fee of £10.50 (cheques to be made payable to Shropshire Council) and a passport-sized photograph.

If you do not still have your personal licence, please give the reason why in your written notification - you'll still need to send the fee and a passport-sized photograph.

Please note that it's an offence under section 127 of the Licensing Act 2003 to fail to notify of a change of name or address.

Am I eligible to apply for a new personal licence?

If you wish to apply for a personal licence you must: be over 18 years of age, have not forfeited a personal licence in the past five years, possess the accredited licensing qualification or hold a justices licence, and have not been convicted of any relevant offence.

Who needs one?

Anyone who doesn't hold a personal licence must be authorised to sell alcohol by a personal licence holder. There's no such requirement for the supply of alcohol in a members’ club.

How long will it take?

Wherever possible, we'll issue your personal licence within one month of receiving the application.

How much will it cost?

There is a fee for issuing this document, which is taken when you apply.

What will I need before I apply?

  • Fee
  • Two photos of yourself
  • A basic Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check ( Any certificate must be no more than one calendar month old
  • A criminal conviction certificate issued under section 112 of the Police Act 1997(a), or
  • A criminal record certificate issued under section 113A of the Police Act 1997, or
  • The results of a subject access search under the Data Protection Act 1998(b) of the Police National Computer by the National Identification Service
  • A completed disclosure of convictions and declaration form. A list of relevant offences is available on the application form
  • A copy of your licensing qualification (see below)
  • Before you apply you will also need one of the following personal licence holder qualifications: BIIAB level 2 national certificate / GQAL level 2 certificate / EDI level 2 national certificate / HABC level 2 award / NCFE level 2 national certificate
  • Proof of your right to work in the United Kingdom

Apply now

Download the form, complete it on your home computer, and email it to

Download an application form

Download the form, print it out, fill it in and post your application along with the fee if applicable to:

The Licensing Team, Shirehall, Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY2 6ND

Download an application form