Shropshire Council

Temporary event notice

Pay for this application online

If you are unable to pay for your application online, please contact the Licensing team using the contact details at the bottom of this page.

Pay for your application »

Contact us for a temporary event notice (TEN) if you want to carry out a ‘licensable activity’ on unlicensed premises.

Licensable activity includes:

  • Selling alcohol
  • Serving alcohol to members of a private club
  • Providing entertainment (eg music, dancing or indoor sporting events)
  • Serving hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am

You must apply for a TEN at least ten working days before your event. You must also send a copy of the TEN to the police at least ten working days before the event. If you apply online, we'll contact the police for you.

The date of submitting the TEN and the day of the event are not included in the total number of working days before the event.

You can only apply for a TEN as an individual, not an organisation. You need a TEN for each event you hold on the same premises.

You can get up to five TENs a year. If you already have a personal licence to sell alcohol, you can be given up to 50 TENs a year.

A single premises can apply for up to 15 TENs in one year, as long as the total length of the events is not more than 21 days.


The latest you can apply for a ‘late TEN’ is five working days before the event (but not earlier than nine working days).

The date of submitting the TEN and the day of the event are not included in the total number of working days before the event.

If you don’t hold a personal licence, you can serve up to two late TENs per year. If you hold a personal licence, the limit is ten. Late TENs count towards the total number of permitted TENs.

How many TENs can I apply for?

A personal licence holder can give a maximum of 50 standard TENs of which ten can be late TENs in a calendar year (1 January to 31 December).

A non-personal licence holder may give a maximum of five standard TENs of which two can be late TENs a year.

The number of times a TEN may be given in respect of any particular premises is 12 times in a calendar year but is subject to a maximum aggregate duration of 21 days.

Your event must involve no more than 499 people at any one time and last no more than 168 hours with a maximum of 24 hours between events.


Your event must:

  • Have fewer than 500 people at any one time – including staff running the event
  • Last no more than 168 hours, or seven days

We can’t refuse a notice unless the police or our Environmental Health department object to it. They must do this within three working days of receiving it. They can only object if they think your event could:

  • Lead to crime and disorder
  • Cause a public nuisance
  • Be a threat to public safety
  • Put children at risk of harm

If there’s an objection, our licensing committee will hold a meeting, called a ‘hearing’, no later than 24 hours before the event.

At the hearing, the committee will either approve, add conditions or reject the notice.


If you disagree with the licensing committee’s decision, you can appeal to your local magistrates’ court. You must do this within 21 days, and at least five working days before the date of your event.

Fines and penalties

You can only apply for a TEN as an individual, not an organisation.

You could be fined up to £5,000 if you make any false statements in your application, or face prosecution if you breach the terms of the notice.

Safety standards

All events, even those in aid of charity, must comply with recognised safety standards. You and your fellow organisers will be responsible under the law for the safety of everyone at the event, including the public, your members and/or any employees. The most relevant safety law is likely to be the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 and its accompanying regulations.

You should be aware that failure to comply with relevant legislation, or failure to comply with a general duty of care can leave you open to legal action by relevant authorities or civil action by individuals, both of which can result in large fines, compensation claims or prison sentences.

An offence is committed if a person knowingly allows an event to proceed without a licence being applied for and granted. The offence is committed under Section 136 of the Licensing Act 2003 and the maximum fine is £20,000 and/or up to six months in prison. If you aren't sure whether your event requires a licence, or if the venue you are booking holds the necessary permission, then please contact us.

PLEASE NOTE: Late temporary event notices will only be accepted in exceptional circumstances (i.e. things out of the control of the applicant).

Am I eligible to apply for a temporary event notice?

You must be 18 years or older to give a temporary event notice (TEN).

What is it for?

To carry out a ‘licensable activity’ on unlicensed premises. You will also need a TEN if a particular licensable activity is not included in the terms of your existing licence, eg holding a wedding reception at a community centre.

Who needs one?

The organiser of a temporary event who wants to serve or sell alcohol, provide late-night refreshment, or put on regulated entertainment.

How long will it take?

We will aim to respond to your temporary event notice application within one working day.

How much will it cost?

There is a fee for issuing this document, which is taken when you apply.

What will I need before I apply?

  • Fee
  • Location and details of your event
  • See application form for any additional requirements

Do I need to do anything else?

When you receive your notice, you must keep it in a safe place where the event is held. You must also display a copy of the notice where it can easily be seen. If you need to submit a plan to show the licensed area in support of your application, please send it by email to quoting the reference number issued to you after you apply.

Apply now

Download the form, complete it on your home computer, and email it to

Download an application form

Download the form, print it out, fill it in and post your application along with the fee if applicable to:

The Licensing Team, Shirehall, Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY2 6ND

Download an application form