Shropshire Council

Vary designated premises supervisor

The Home Office have brought to our attention an error in the application form to vary a premises licence to specify an individual as designated premises supervisor. The application to vary a premises licence to specify an individual as designated premises supervisor under the Licensing Act 2003 asks the licensee to give a copy of the form to the existing premises supervisor. The completed form contains personal information about the proposed new DPS and sharing this information would be in breach of the Data Protection Act 1998. It is sufficient for the licensee to inform the DPS that the application has been made, without the need to share the specific details of the application. A full copy of the application form must still be sent to police. The form will be amended via regulations as soon as possible after the general election to make this clear.

In every premises licensed for the supply of alcohol, a personal licence holder must be specified as the designated premises supervisor (DPS). This will normally be the person who has day-to-day responsibility for running the premises.

If the designated premises supervisor changes, the premises licence must be varied to show the new DPS. It's important that the licensing authority and police are notified of this change as soon as possible. The new DPS must also consent to this variation.

Am I eligible to apply for a vary designated premises supervisor?

Yes, if you're the DPS of a premises licensed to serve alcohol.

What is it for?

Changing the name of the personal licence holder of a premises licensed to serve alcohol.

Who needs one?

Any premises licensed for the supply of alcohol which has a new personal licence holder.

How long will it take?

We will issue your licence no later than 14 days after the consultation period finishes.

How much will it cost?

There is a fee for issuing this document, which is taken when you apply.

What will I need before I apply?

  • Fee
  • Consent form
  • Copy of premises licence

Apply now

Download the form, complete it on your home computer, and email it to

Download an application form

Download the form, print it out, fill it in and post your application along with the fee if applicable to:

The Licensing Team, Shirehall, Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY2 6ND

Download an application form