Shropshire Council

Brexit information for businesses

The UK has left the EU. There is now a transition period in relation to the EU, with new rules taking effect on 1 January 2021. The UK Government is working on new agreements with non-EU countries.

Weighing and measuring equipment

Manufacturers of weighing and measuring equipment currently mark the equipment with a CE mark and M mark to demonstrate compliance. The UKCA marking will replace CE marking for instruments placed on the UK market. The M marking will still be required. Packaged goods currently e-marked will require a UK equivalent. Further guidance is available using the links below:

Product safety

Legislative changes will require products to be re-labelled for goods sold in the UK after the transition period (1 January 2021). The CE mark will still apply to goods sold in the EU after this date. Businesses that sell goods supplied from the EU after this date will be regarded as importers and will have greater responsibilities to check compliance, and there will be changes in the labelling requirements. To see how these changes may affect your business, use the relevant links below:

Trade marks

This relates to European Union trade marks only and sets out the current requirements and the new rules from 1 January 2021. 

Tobacco products

There will be new requirements from 1 January 2021 relating to the labelling and notifying of tobacco and related products.

Trader Support Service

There is a trader support service for those businesses moving goods between Great Britain and Northern Ireland.


There are a series of webinars available for organisations that trade with the EU.