Marriage and civil partnerships
From Thursday 11 June it will be possible to give notice of marriage or civil partnership in the Shropshire Council area. We'll have contacted directly all of our customers who plan to marry or enter into a civil partnership between now and the end of August, and who have not already given notice to advise them, and will be contacting our other customers shortly. Appointments will be available at the Shropshire Register Office, Shirehall, Shrewsbury, SY2 6ND. The other registration offices around the Shropshire Council area will remain closed for the time being. Appointments will be available on Thursdays and Fridays in the first instance.
Please be aware that although the government has allowed notices to be given, they have not yet allowed ceremonies to proceed, and at present it is unclear when this will happen. Giving notice of marriage or civil partnership is no guarantee that your ceremony will take place. A notice once given is for a specific venue and is valid for a period of 12 months – this can't be changed. If you change your venue after giving notice you'll be required to do so again and go through the legally required 28-day waiting period.
When attending an appointment the following will apply, please read carefully:
- A maximum of two adults should attend an appointment. Please don't bring children or babies if at all possible.
- Please don't arrive early – if you arrive early you should wait in your vehicle or outside the office until the time of your appointment.
- Please don't arrive late – if you're any more than five minutes late we won't be able to see you.
- Please don't attend the office if you or anyone in your household has coronavirus symptoms.
- If you appear to have any symptoms when you arrive at the office you won't be seen and will have to book a fresh appointment.
- Please feel free to wear masks or face coverings.
- Contactless payments will be our preferred method of payment – no cash will be accepted.
- Public toilets will be unavailable.
- Parking is provided immediately outside the register office in Shrewsbury.