Special Guardianship Orders (SGO) Draft Policy Consultation
- Period: 03 November 2020 - 14 December 2020
- Status: Closed
- Audiences: Everyone
- Topics: Children's services
- Type: Public
Shropshire Council has identified the need to make changes to its policy document ‘Financial Support for Children Subject to Special Guardianship Orders’. The purpose of the policy is to provide information to practitioners, Special Guardians and prospective Special Guardians about the financial support available to support families offering a permanent home to a child through Special Guardianship.
The updated policy reflects national developments such as welfare payments, emerging good practice from other local authorities, and feedback from local people. The changes, based on a review, are designed to:
- Clearly set out and explain Shropshire Council’s policy and procedures
- Bring the policy document up to date with national developments
- Ensure the policy is equitable and fair
- Support improvement in the assessment and review of allowances
Other local authorities have gone through a similar exercise over recent years. Main changes include:
- Updating the policy to reflect the local use of the Department for Education’s Standardised Means test calculator
- Update the policy in line with recommended good practice to provide age related allowances. (Previously allowance rates were applied based on the age of the child at the time the order is granted)
The impact of these changes will vary on a case by case basis and those with existing Special Guardianship Orders may find allowances change at the time of review. Some may find their payments increase and others may find that they reduce. Each will be assessed on an individual basis with the overall aim of ensuring a fair and equitable approach using the Department for Education Means Tested Calculator as a basis for calculating allowances. More information is provided in the Questions and Answers.
Shropshire Council is keen to encourage feedback and consult on the draft policy before it is formally approved and implemented. You can find the draft document under documents at the bottom of this page.
It is now important to consult on the draft document before it can be formally approved and implemented. A survey is provided as a way of collecting feedback. Find the survey link on the ‘Get Involved’ section of this webpage.
Questions and answers
Have your say on this draft strategy using our survey. You may find it useful to have a copy of the strategy open to refer to as you complete the survey.Go to the survey »
If you would like the survey in an alternative format, please email us at TellUs@shropshire.gov.uk where you can request a copy or telephone Shropshire Council’s Customer Services on 0345 678 9000 and explain any support you need to allow you to respond.
You can also respond to this consultation in writing:
Feedback and Insight team
Shrewsbury SY2 6ND