Shropshire Council

SEN transport

Find out more about coronavirus (Covid-19) emergency guidance for school transport on our school transport pages.
All September applications will need to be received by 31st July 2021 to ensure transport in September 2021, we cannot guarantee transport in the September if they are received after this date.  Nursery and Post 16 applicants will need to ensure a contribution payment is made by 13th August 2021 to ensure transport can be organised in time for September 2021.


Transport imageWe have a statutory duty to support parents/carers with home-to-school travel assistance for those pupils of compulsory school age (5-16) who have a statement of special educational needs (SEN) or education, health and care plan (EHCP), and although there is not duty to provide assistance for discretionary areas (0-4 and post 16-19) we currently offer assistance for this area within a contribution scheme.

The scheme is intended to promote positive outcomes for pupils/students and parents/carers through transport offers which encourage independence where possible. We assess every child on their individual needs. Statutory obligations that apply to school transport derive from the Education and Inspections Act 2006, (in particular section 508 A-F and schedule 35B), and the Department of Education Home to School Travel and Transport statutory guidance.

It's helpful for parents to be aware that we must operate within procurement rules, and contracts will be tendered, reviewed or changed. We aim to work with parents to prepare passengers for any change that may occur, and ensure a smooth transition. While we have this responsibility, it's the responsibility of all parents/carers to:

  • Ensure that their child/children attend school regularly
  • Promote confidence for independent travel

Use the links on this page to find out more about the age group you're interested in.

Top tips for parents/carers applying for transport

  • Please complete all boxes on the form
  • Please inform us of your (parent/carers) details
  • Please tell us as much as you can about your child. We understand that sometimes this can be difficult, but the more you tell us the more information we have to make an informed and accurate decision
  • If your child is 16+ you'll need to apply every year
  • For September starters/leavers and movers we'll work on your child’s transport during August so we can efficiently network plan and provide sustainable transport options. We'll inform you of what provision your child will have before term starts
  • If transport is granted you'll be asked to complete a travel support plan, which helps us to ensure your child has a happy journey to and from school
  • If you have any questions or queries please email:

What travel assistance is available that I may be able to access?

When eligibility for travel assistance is granted by our Specialist Travel Team there will be a number of options we can discuss to identify what's suitable for the child and the child's family.

We'll determine which options are appropriate, cost effective and which promote a greater independence, while facilitating a child or young person’s attendance at school.

Independent travel training

We'll organise 1:1 travel training to enable young people to travel independently over a period of time.

This scheme can include, but not be limited to, school buses, public transport, walking or even cycling to school.

Personal travel budgets

A personal travel budget is a sum of money allocated to parents/carers to enable them to get their child to school. It offers families choice and flexibility, and how the money is spent is completely at the families own discretion.

Council-contracted bus

A child is allocated a seat on an existing vehicle that meets the needs of that individual pupil. In the vast majority of cases this will be in the form of a seat on a minibus or bus. In exceptional circumstances this may be in the form of a vehicle allocated to that child, which will be reviewed on a regular basis. We understand that consistency is important, and aim to reduce the number of changes made to transport. However, we're required to adhere to procurement legislation, and contracts will be tendered regularly.

Vehicles and drivers provided will be suitably qualified and registered, and adhere to our code of conduct for drivers and passenger assistants.

Bus pass

Where assessed as appropriate, a bus pass for use on an existing school bus, or on a relevant public school transport route, will be issued to the pupil.


We all have a duty to protect children and vulnerable adults. If you suspect that anyone is being harmed, or at risk of being harmed, it's vital that you report it.

Abuse can be in many forms, including the following:

  •          Emotional abuse
  •          Sexual abuse
  •          Child sexual exploitation
  •          Neglect
  •          Physical abuse

You can call the First Point of Contact Team on 0345 6789021 or any of the following numbers below:

  • Protecting Vulnerable People (West Mercia Police): 0300 333 3000
  • NSPCC: 0800 800 5000
  • ChildLine: 0800 1111

Please don't hesitate to contact the Specialist Travel Team if you have any queries or questions, or would like to know how to apply for travel assistance. Please email:

Contact transport

Please don't hesitate to contact the Specialist Travel Team if you have any queries or questions, or would like to know how to apply for travel assistance. Please email: